In this short review, we're going to cover some incredible off-road and truly budget tires. And you probably didn’t know about these tires or haven’t tried them in practice.
So, Firestone Destination A/T is the choice of those who know how to count money but do not intend to sacrifice their comfort and cross-country ability of their car. Who makes these tires and how? What are they for? Why are these tires good and are there any disadvantages? You will find answers to these and other questions in our short review.
Firestone Destination A/T is an off-road all-season tire designed for crossovers, SUVs, and light trucks. The tires in this range are very popular in the USA and Canada. However, now they are increasingly available in other countries of the world. Destination A/T is a tubeless, highly practical tire that will change your vehicle's performance for the better.
About the manufacturer
Destination A/T tires are manufactured by the American company Firestone. The company specializes in the production of quality pneumatic tires for various types of transport. The company has been on the market since 1900 - during this time, an impressive production experience was accumulated and a lot of technologies were involved, some of which are still used today.
In 1988, Bridgestone acquired a majority stake in Firestone. As a result, the products of the American manufacturer can boast of the Japanese quality level today.
How these tires do
Currently, Firestone tires are manufactured in the United States as well as in Southeast Asian countries such as Taiwan. In the production of tires of this brand, advanced technologies and modern equipment are used. The composition of rubber compounds for different functional layers of tires includes many (at least 20) ingredients. Firestone has the strictest quality controls, so the likelihood of manufacturing defects is negligible.
Tire construction is standard on modern off-road tires. There is a reinforcing frame made of metal cords. The carcass maintains the configuration of the tire and allows for high-pressure retention. There are also belts in the design of these tires. These are metal strips that ensure uniform contact of the tread with the road surface. As a result, uniform wear of the tread and long service life of the tire is ensured.
Technologies and features
As mentioned earlier, Destination A/T is a technological tire, where each of the applied technologies provides one or another advantage. Most of the applied technologies are directly related to the tread pattern and design features of the tire.
Of the most important technologies, we note the following:
- CO-CS (Computer Optimized Component System). This technology, used during the development phase of tires, allowed for the optimal combination of body shape, tread pattern, construction, and manufacturing materials. Thus, the technology had a positive effect on the performance of the tires.
- O-Bead. In the construction of the tire bead, a cord with a continuous strand is used. This ensures that the tire is balanced, which has a positive effect on ride comfort and vehicle handling.
- LL Carbon (Long Link). This technology involves the use of a carbon structure that is uniform along its entire length. This technology prevents cracking, chips, and tears and, as a result, reduces tread wear.
- 5 ° (Noise Canceling Technology). Thanks to this technology, the noise level is reduced to acceptable levels. This result is achieved through the use of tread blocks of different sizes.
- No aquaplaning. Diverting water from the tire-to-road patch provides extra grip, confident starts, and short braking distances.
- Spiral Wrap. This technology is responsible for the high tightness of the tire since the entire inner surface is covered with a uniform layer of elastic nylon film.
Why are these tires good?
Speaking about the features of tires, first of all, we pay attention to their advantages. After all, it is the advantages that distinguish some tires from others.
- Affordable cost. When it comes to practical tires for everyday use, price means a lot. In terms of price, Destination A/T is practically unrivaled, since other tires of this level are more expensive. Just ask your nearest dealer for the price and you will be at least surprised.
- High cross-country ability. It is a truly off-road tire that, thanks to its aggressive tread pattern, rides well on any surface. The tire has been tested on asphalt, gravel, soil, and even sand before being put into production, and has shown excellent results.
- Optimum handling in different weather conditions. The tire rides well both in dry and wet weather. In winter, the tire shows acceptable results only on loose snow, while on clean ice it is advisable to wear snow chains over the tires.
- Really little noise. Considering that the tread is quite aggressive, you expect a lot more noise from such a tire when driving. But Destination A/T's aren't much louder than regular passenger tires. This advantage is especially valuable when using the car for long journeys.
- Self-cleaning function. This off-road tire stays clean despite the rough terrain. This is largely due to the self-cleaning function. Lumps of dirt and stones fly out of the gaps between the tread blocks. This happens already at a speed of 30 mph.
- Fuel economy. Destination A/T tires, like all modern technology tires, feature low rolling resistance. As a result, in order to maintain the desired speed, the engine runs in a sparing mode and consumes about 10% less fuel than when using other tires.
- Long service life. Destination A/T are practical tires, if only because they are durable. It is not for nothing that the manufacturer gives them a guarantee of 50 thousand miles of the run. On average, these tires will last 1.5 times longer than other all-season tires in the same price range.
- Attractive design. The tire, despite its aggressive tread pattern, does not look like an off-road tire. The average tread height, white letters on the side (there is also the usual black version) - all this makes the tire especially attractive for installation on a modern car.
So, there are many advantages, it's time to talk about the disadvantages. There is only one drawback, or rather it is not even a drawback, but a feature of all-season tires. These tires do not handle well on ice. Therefore, if winters are harsh and icy conditions are common, consider buying winter studded tires. If you intend to use Destination A/T on ice, stock up on snow chains that will replace the spikes.
Sizes and other characteristics
Destination A/T tires are available in a variety of sizes. The outer diameters of the tires range from 15 to 19 inches. Usually, this is enough to equip various off-road vehicles. The tread depth is from 0.5 to 0.6 inches, depending on the tire diameter. The maximum permissible speed recommended when using these tires is 125 mph.
Take or not take, that is the question. Let's try to decide who, first of all, should pay attention to these tires. We believe that, given the optimal combination of quality and price, these tires are the ideal choice for the practical buyer. That is, these are tires for those who need an affordable price without compromising product quality. So to buy or not? Buy and save money, of course!