Lion Sport HP
In this short review, we'll take a look at the HP Lion Sport tires and their performance. Why about these tires? Yes, if only because these tires demonstrate the optimal combination of excellent driving performance and affordable prices.
How athletic qualities are combined with affordable prices
Linglong tire has launched the Leao Lion Sport line of tires. Models marked "sport" in the name differ from other products of the Leao brand in improved performance. The manufacturer notes such distinctive qualities as good handling, the ability to operate in different weather conditions, durability, comfort, and safety of driving. Nevertheless, these tires, despite their excellent driving characteristics, are presented in the budget price segment.
Many people reasonably believe that affordable, that is, low cost of production implies low quality. But the Lion Sport HP tires are a whole different story. And just the same - this is an example of how inexpensive tires can be very good in terms of handling on the road and in terms of service life.
The thing is that the Leao brand is little known outside of China. Meanwhile, the brand belongs to the Chinese company Shandong Linglong Tire Co., Ltd. In turn, Linglong Tire is one of the largest Chinese car tire manufacturers and the Leao brand was created to promote the most promising products of this manufacturer on the world market. Therefore, the Chinese, to earn the recognition of potential buyers abroad, combine high quality with the most reasonable prices.
Lion Sport HP tires are designed for passenger cars and city SUVs. The tires are designed for operation on dense and even road surfaces. Short-term use of light off-road is allowed. Lion Sport HP is designed to operate in a variety of weather conditions. The manufacturer positions these tires as all-season tires.
- Tread height - from 7.7 to 8.6 mm.
- Width - from 578 to 738 mm (depends on the outer diameter of the tire).
- Inner bore diameter - from 14 to 17 ".
- Maximum wheel load - from 1050 to 1980 lb.
- The maximum permissible speed for continuous operation is up to 155 mi / h.
About all-season use
The manufacturer is positioning the Lion Sport HP as an all-season tire, but are they? These are summer tires, but with the possibility of using them in warm and cold seasons. But in winter, these tires are unlikely to compete with real winter tires. Especially the difference between these tires and winter tires will be noticeable on ice.
You need to understand that all-season tires are a kind of compromise and you have to choose - either versatility or excellent handling. But even though all-season tires are a compromise choice, they handle well in temperatures between 25 and 0 ℃, and on both dry and wet surfaces. And what is surprising, judging by the reviews of the car owners who bought these tires, the car drives on wet roads not only no worse but even better than dry. In many ways, this advantage is provided by the tread pattern and the composition of the rubber from which the tire is made.
So, let's summarize. When buying these tires, you can expect that they will ride great most of the year, but for the winter you will have to change your shoes into winter tires or buy snow chains for driving on ice and packed snow.
Advantages and disadvantages
It's time to decide on the main reasons, taking into account which these tires should or vice versa should not be bought. Let's start with the disadvantages, as they are of the most interest to buyers.
The first and perhaps the only drawback is that these tires do not provide sufficient handling in winter. That is, the tread rubber at temperatures below -5 ℃ loses its original elasticity and road grip deteriorates. As a result, in winter, on such tires, starting from a place occurs with slippage, and the braking distance increases in comparison with the warm season.
On bare ice, a car on these tires is prone to uncontrollable drifts, which is unsafe. However, the problem, as already mentioned, is treated by buying snow chains or using a set of winter tires. Are there any other disadvantages? Perhaps there are such disadvantages and they could be listed, but on one condition - if these tires cost at least twice as much. And so, given the low price of these tires, their disadvantages should be treated as features.
Well, let's briefly list the benefits.
- Price. There is not even anything to comment on, just check the prices for these tires in your country. You will find that it is cheaper to buy only completely unnamed tires or used tires.
- Durability. The tires featured in the HP Lion Sport range are warranted by the manufacturer 50 thousand miles is a lot even for more expensive tires. But let us immediately draw your attention to the fact that long-term operation is possible only in the temperature range from + 20 ℃ to -5 ℃ and only when driving on a high-quality road surface.
- Dynamic start. The tires, thanks to the effective tread pattern and, as a result, good grip, start quickly and practically without slipping. This is important when driving on wet roads.
- Short braking distance. Thanks to its excellent traction, the Lion Sport HP's braking distance is shorter than that of other all-season tires. This is an important advantage considering the operation in urban traffic.
- Exchange rate stability. The presence of 4 deep longitudinal grooves in combination with the asymmetric arrangement of the sipes provides these tires with improved directional stability both on straight sections and when cornering.
- Comfortable driving. Due to their design features, these tires are less noisy. Moreover, there is less noise both outside the car and in the passenger compartment. This is an important advantage if you have a long trip ahead.
- Predictable, safe handling on wet roads. An efficient and technologically advanced tread pattern contributes to the effective drainage of water from the contact patch with the road. As a result, the likelihood of aquaplaning on wet road surfaces is reduced and that is why a car on these tires drives so well in rainy weather.
- Practicality of operation. Lion Sport HP is practical tires, not only because they are inexpensive, but also because they help fuel economy. The fact is that these tires are perfectly balanced, and therefore, to a lesser extent than other all-season tires, they inhibit rolling. Therefore, fuel consumption is about 10% less.
Summing up the list of advantages, let us note that although they are called all-season tires, Lion Sport HP has all the qualities of good summer tires, which, in addition to everything, ride well in all weather conditions. These tires are reliable and durable, which is noted in their reviews by buyers in Asian countries, as well as in Europe and the USA.
It can be assumed that the listed benefits are enough to make you decide to buy these tires. Well, if all that was listed is not enough, we note that these tires have a great design and will look great on both new and classic cars.