The Goodyear Eagle RS-A is a mild-climate all-season sports tire
The American passenger car tire Goodyear Eagle RS-A is installed on powerful sports cars, which move mainly on solid surfaces. The developer assumes all-season use, but it is worth approaching this assumption carefully - the tire loses its effectiveness in harsh winter conditions. Instead, the tire provides confident maneuvering and superior traction on dry and wet asphalt roads.
Tread pattern configuration
The manufacturer turned to computer simulation programs and built an asymmetric non-directional tread pattern for the tire with five longitudinal ribs. Three of them represent the central zone of the tread, these elements are composed of small blocks of different shapes and create additional grip edges. The remaining two ribs are located along the edges of the tread, they form the shoulder zones, which provide support for the tire when performing maneuvers.
Goodyear Eagle RS-A Conversions
Engineers have implemented a set of technical solutions in the tire design aimed at improving performance during high-speed traffic on highways:
- The reinforced frame contains an additional steel-wound metal cord. On the one hand, the solution increases the mass of the tire and makes it more stable along the course in high-speed traffic. On the other hand, strengthening increases the resistance to mechanical stress.
- Longitudinal drainage channels collect moisture from the roadway and direct it outside the tire. This provides resistance to aquaplaning and stabilizes wet grip.
- The tread blocks are lined up in an uneven order and come into contact with the coating alternately. This reduces the number of resonance vibrations hitting the vehicle body and ensures a quiet interior.
- Multidirectional sipes cut along the center of the treadmill create a shaft of active traction edges and enhance traction on slippery surfaces.
- Massive shoulder blocks expand the contact patch during lateral acceleration and provide stability in bends.
The Goodyear Eagle RS-A tire will provide all-season performance on asphalt surfaces in alpine-style climates.
Not only its name but also it is very high technical characteristics testify to its belonging to the flagship line of the Goodyear Eagle RS-A passenger car tire. At the same time, it should be noted that this model can be used throughout the year and can be installed even on pickups, which gives it an unusually wide versatility for UHP tires. This is primarily due to the use of advanced technologies and materials in its design.
The unique asymmetrical tread pattern
When developing this model, the company's specialists preferred an asymmetric tread. It has versatile capabilities because it provides those performance properties that are frankly poorly combined. This was achieved by dividing the tread into several separate functional zones. Each of them improves a certain set of performance characteristics. At the same time, many of them are the same for the functional areas, which makes it possible to further improve the technical characteristics. As a result, this model simultaneously demonstrates a high level of comfort, excellent longitudinal grip, and excellent cornering stability.
Reliable grip on all slippery surfaces
The possibility of using this model not only in summer, but also in winter is provided due to the features in the tread design, both in its design and in the physicochemical properties of the compound from which it is made. The tread pattern contains a large number of blocks. However, a significant part of the coupling edges is not formed by them, but by the lamellas cut into them. This significantly improves traction on snow and ice. The tread compound is characterized by more than half of silica. This component gives the tire elasticity and thus improved grip on winter roads.
Highlights of the Goodyear Eagle RS-A tire
- excellent balance between all performance characteristics thanks to the asymmetric tread;
- the possibility of using the tire on winter surfaces is ensured by the design of the tread pattern with numerous blocks and sipes cut into them, as well as by the compound with increased silica content.
As noted by the manufacturer, the Goodyear Eagle RS-A features aggressive shoulder lugs that improve handling, as well as wide longitudinal grooves that quickly drain water from the contact patch. In addition, the tire construction includes high-strength steel-cord belts that improve steering response and make the tires more durable and reliable.
“Automotive tires have to pass numerous tests, and Goodyear tires demonstrate how much work Goodyear did during development,” said Rick Wendt, Goodyear's government procurement manager. "Countless fleets across the country have used Goodyear tires over the years because they know they will always get the high level of performance that helps professionals get the job done."
Advantages: soft, quiet, not expensive
Disadvantages: soft sidewall
The tread is not very beautiful, for that it is soft and noiseless, but it broke on a sharp curb, through its own fault