Are you looking for quality and relatively inexpensive tires for a frame SUV or light truck? Then the Firestone product range is what you are guaranteed to be interested in. But especially we draw your attention to the Firestone Transforce HT2 model. Why do we recommend these tires and not others? There are many reasons and we will tell about them in this review.
Transforce HT2 is a redesigned and improved version of Transforce HT tires. An improved version of these tires appeared on the market in 18 and has enjoyed consistently high popularity since then. The manufacturer of these tires is the American company, Firestone. This model is produced directly in the USA and the countries of Southeast Asia. There is no difference in quality and other performance depending on where the tires are made.
Tires are designed and manufactured for frame SUVs and light trucks. The manufacturer positions these tires as the best choice for commercial vehicles. Indeed, this tire model is made taking into account the transportation of goods weighing up to 3 tons. This is quite enough for urban commercial vehicles, usually busy delivering goods to shops and markets.
In addition to sufficient carrying capacity, the manufacturer notes the high resistance of the tread to abrasion, and this is with a prolonged alternation of start and stop. Finally, let's not forget that the tires are all-weather and this makes them even more interesting to buy. Well, now about all this and not only in more detail.
Benefits of Transforce HT2
There are many advantages, let's consider the main ones:
- All weather use. This characteristic is especially important given the use of tires in commercial vehicles. That is, I installed the tires and forgot about them until a replacement is required according to the regulations. These tires run great in both dry and rainy weather. And even in winter, these tires handle well, of course, if you do not drive on bare ice. However, for clear ice, studded tires or snow chains worn over regular tires are preferable.
- Confident start and braking on almost any surface. Thanks to the special tread pattern, Transforce HT2 tires provide short braking distances. Again, the car starts well with these tires as the traction is sufficient. This is an important advantage that you will surely appreciate in city traffic and especially in sluggish traffic jams, where you often have to brake and then accelerate.
- Minimum likelihood of aquaplaning. The tread pattern is designed in such a way that water from the center of the tire is diverted to the sides. That is, over the entire area of the contact patch, the tire adjoins the road tightly and the likelihood of aquaplaning is minimized.
- Fuel economy. The Transforce HT2, like all modern Firestone tires, features low rolling resistance. Therefore, to maintain the desired speed, the engine runs in a sparing mode and uses 10% less fuel than with other tires.
- Durability. Thanks to the special rubber composition and progressive construction, this tire model lasts at least one and a half times longer than similar tires from other manufacturers. By the way, this model line is covered by a 90-day warranty. Thus, if the buyer finds a factory defect or premature tread wear within 3 months, he can return these tires to the seller. Agree, this is a good guarantee of tire reliability!
- Low noise level. Even though the tires are designed for an SUV, the tread pattern is non-aggressive. Due to the relatively low tread height (14-16 mm), the tires have a low noise level. If the car is used for intercity cargo transportation and operates over long distances, this is an important advantage, since there will also be less noise in the cabin.
- Wide range of standard sizes. Firestone Transforce HT2 tires are available in the most running radii of 16, 17, 18, and 20 inches. That is, if you wish, you can choose tires for most cars, both American and foreign production.
All these and many other benefits of Firestone Transforce HT2 tires are provided by progressive technologies, efficient selection of materials, and equally efficient tire construction. Let's consider these points in more detail.
Firestone Transforce HT2 is a state-of-the-art tire that incorporates a wide variety of technologies. Almost all technologies, in one way or another, relate to operational characteristics, such as resource duration, driving performance, noise level while driving, etc.
We will not list all the technologies, we will focus on the most important ones.
- Optimized tire profile. This technology ensures that the center rib evenly adheres to the road surface. As a result, uneven tread wear is reduced, even at increased loads.
Optimized tread block profile. If you look at the tread blocks, you will notice that they slope slightly in the direction of the wheel rotation. Thus, additional grip on the road surface is achieved.
- Longitudinal grooves and 3D - sipes for directional stability. Longitudinal grooves that run along the center rib provide directional stability of the car when cornering and when driving in a straight line.
- Additional tread blocks along the edges of the center rib. This technology allows the tire to hit the packed snow better, thus providing better grip combined with greater sidewall rigidity.
- Deep grooves for water drainage. The depth of the grooves reaches 14-16 mm and this is sufficient for water from the center of the tire to accelerate to the sides. The technology ensures water drainage and reduces the risk of aquaplaning.
- Self-cleaning function. Some modern tires can clear stones from the tread. This function is also implemented in the Firestone Transforce HT2 tires. The essence of the technology is in the special relief of the grooves. The unevenness of the relief itself pushes the stones out, and centrifugal force helps in this.
Materials and construction
Like any modern tire, the Firestone Transforce HT2 is distinguished by a variety of materials used. As with all tires from this American manufacturer, the Transforce HT2 uses a tread-only compound made from over 20 different components.
In the manufacture of these tires, the materials used are selected to achieve certain qualities.
For example, the tread materials are selected for maximum abrasion resistance. At the same time, these materials must provide sufficient friction in contact with the road. This is achieved by mixing synthetic rubber with silica additives.
Manufacturing materials in the structural design of the frame are selected taking into account the maximum tightness and resistance to tears. To achieve the highest possible tire strength, rubber-based materials are reinforced with metal cords and strips. This solution makes the tire more tensile and more balanced.
The sidewalls of the tires deserve special mention. They are more reinforced than the entire tire. There are metal reinforcing inserts in the sidewalls. In addition, the rubber layer on the sidewalls is almost doubled due to the additional thickness of the shoulder strap. This solution prevents damage to the sidewalls when hitting obstacles such as curbs, traffic police, damaged road surfaces, etc.
The Firestone Transforce HT2 is a practical tire that combines optimum performance and value for money. Thus, when it comes to a commercial tire in the mid-range segment, the Transforce HT2 is a very good choice.