Affordable price, excellent driving characteristics, handling on various surfaces, all-weather use. All these are the characteristics that distinguish good tires from ordinary ones, and we will talk about such tires in this review. So, Firestone FR710 is a model line of tires designed for passenger cars.
Performance in numbers
To make it clearer, let's present the main characteristics of FR710 in percentage terms.
- Tread durability 80%
- Riding comfort 80%
- Silence during operation 90%
- Fuel economy 70%
- Performance on dry road surfaces 80%
- Performance on wet road surfaces 65%
- Performance in winter on snow and ice 75%
What follows from the given data? First of all, the fact that the tires work better on dry and snow than on wet surfaces. Moreover, the tires are economical and quiet. However, the benefits do not end there. Let's consider them in more detail.
Learn more about the benefits
- Durability. Like all modern Firestone tires, the FR710 has a high level of durability. They are resistant to lateral cuts and hernias. Again, visible signs of tread wear on these tires appear only after 20-30 thousand kilometers. By the way, the fact that the manufacturer gives a guarantee for 65 thousand miles of run or 90 days from the date of purchase speaks about the durability of these tires.
- Riding comfort. Strange, but for some reason, most buyers take this parameter into account in the last place. And in vain, since the softness of the ride and the intensity of vibrations in the cabin depend on the choice of tires. This is an important point, especially if the car is used for long journeys. So Firestone FR710 is a very comfortable tire, the ride of the car will be very smooth and soft. Try it and you will be at least surprised.
- Silence during operation. Continuing the ride comfort theme, the FR710 is less noisy compared to most other tires. This is partly due to the tread pattern, and partly to the materials from which the tread is molded. It should be noted that the tires are quiet both outside and inside the car!
- Economical fuel consumption. You may not have imagined, but the right tires can help you save fuel. This is because the tires are well balanced, and therefore do not create rolling resistance. Besides the fact that the tires are balanced, the tread is not aggressive. As a result, the wheels roll with less load, and the engine has to generate less power and, as a result, use less fuel.
- Performance on dry road surfaces. Even though this is an all-season tire, it is almost as good as summer tires in terms of its dry road performance. Excellent directional stability, short braking distances, and a brisk start without slipping are the distinctive qualities of the FR710.
- Performance on wet road surfaces. These tires perform slightly worse on wet road surfaces than on dry roads. Therefore, in rainy weather, before entering a turn, slow down. However, the heavier the car, the better the handling. In any case, due to the special design of the tread pattern, the likelihood of aquaplaning will be minimal.
- winter performance on snow and ice. FR710 tires perform surprisingly well on packed snow and even ice. Usually, all-season tires are practically uncontrollable on icy roads, but these tires ride better in winter than on wet roads in the off-season. This advantage is primarily due to the effective tread pattern.
- Price. Perhaps, this advantage should have been discussed first. Let's just note that these tires demonstrate an optimal combination of price and quality.
As you've probably noticed, these tires have plenty of benefits. Most of these benefits come from manufacturing technology. There are many technologies, but we will focus on the most important ones.
- Wide radial grooves along the entire circumference of the central rib. This feature of the tread provides directional stability of the car both on a straight line and when cornering.
- Deep shoulder slots. This feature improves handling in winter as the tire bites into the snow. This same technology will come in handy if the tire is used on dirt roads where additional grip is required.
- Increased area of contact with the road. This technology provides optimal grip in wet and dry conditions.
- Continuous shoulder rib reinforcement. The shoulder ribs of these tires are reinforced with solid metal strips. This technology prevents tire deformation when hitting curbs and other obstacles. Another advantage of this solution is the uniform adherence of the tire to the road surface along this contact area. As a result, the tread wears off evenly and this increases its service life, which means the tire will live longer.
About construction and manufacturing materials
Firestone uses proprietary synthetic rubber formulations to manufacture the FR710. The compositions are multicomponent and each of the individual ingredients in the composition provides certain features of the finished tire. For example, a rubber compound made from more than 20 different ingredients is used to cast a tread band. A density suitable for an all-season tire is ensured by the addition of silica fillers. Thanks to this solution, tires can be used at temperatures down to -10 ℃.
FR710 is a tubeless tire that, unlike conventional tires, has an elastic layer on the inner surface that ensures a high level of tightness. To keep the air in the wheel, these tires have bead sealing strips, a smaller rim diameter, and a special bead shape. All of this provides a tighter fit for the FR710 on the disc.
Thanks to its tubeless design, the FR710 heat up less during operation. Nevertheless, due to the increased tension of the beads on the disk shelves, the installation of these tires is possible only with the use of special equipment. Again, these tires can only be pumped with a compressor, and therefore it is better to forget about hand or foot pumps right away.
Structurally, the FR710 is not much different from other all-season tires that are manufactured by Firestone. The number and arrangement of functional layers are about the same. The tires are radial, which indicates the efficient arrangement of the cords in the carcass. In addition to the frame, as already mentioned, a technological protector and an equally technological sealing layer were used.
Thanks to the specially developed composition and arrangement of functional layers, the tires are well balanced and have practically no radial runout. And it is because of this that the tires exhibit minimal rolling resistance, which allows you to maintain a stable speed while saving fuel.
Characteristics in numbers
- Rims: 15 ", 17" and 18 ".
- Speed index: H / T.
- Sidewall design: black and black with white lettering.
- Manufacturer's warranty: 65 thousand miles or 90 days of operation.
The FR710 is an inexpensive, practical tire for all-season everyday use. The tires are not sporty, so don't expect them to handle well at high speeds. But at speeds up to 210 km / h, the car, shod with these tires, handles well and quite predictably.
The optimal combination of reliability, excellent ride quality, and affordable price - are good reasons to buy these tires!